Welcome to Chalfont St. Giles
Situated on the edge of the Chilterns midway between London and Oxford, Chalfont St Giles features attractive 18th century cottages, Village Green with maypole, duck pond fed by the River Misbourne and a quaint High Street. In recent years the village has won the Best Kept Village three times and been runner up four times.
Chalfont St Giles is an attractive friendly village and has won many accolades over the years as such.
Folklore suggests the word Chalfont means chalk spring – a reference to the water carrying capabilities of the local terrain.
Some of the oldest buildings show fine examples of Norman architecture most notably The Vache and the Parish Church which dates back to 12th century with a lychgate. The Vache stands on a site of a medieval residence on land granted by William the Conqueror.
Half timbered Stonewell Farm is mentioned in the Domesday Book and is situated on the corner of Bowstridge Lane and the High Street.
John Milton retired during the Great Plague of London to Milton’s Cottage where he wrote Paradise Lost. Now open to the public there are rare editions of his work plus three cannon balls which were found embedded in the east window of the Parish Church.
Newlands Park dates back to 1208 and was a refuge for suffragettes most notably Emmaline Pankhurst. Now part of Buckinghamshire Chilterns University.
There is a nursery and infant school in School Lane and a junior school in Parsonage Road.
The village has been used for the backdrop of many film and television programmes most notably the 1971 Dad’s Army film where it doubled for Walmington-on-Sea.
Commuters can easily join the motorways of the M25 and M40. Trains to London can be accessed from Chalfont and Latimer station in Little Chalfont with Chiltern Line and Metropolitan Line trains into the city. Seer Green and Jordans station is also nearby with Chiltern Line trains to Marylebone.
Tim Russ & Company
3, Pond House, High Street
Chalfont St. Giles
Bucks HP8 4QA
Tel: 01494 873311
- Tenant Find Service 9.6% (including VAT)
- Lettings & Rent Collection 10.8% (including VAT)
- Lettings & Management 15% (including VAT)
- Tenancy Set Up Fee £156.00 (including VAT)
Tenant Information 2017
When you decide to rent property through Tim Russ & Company (Lettings) we will ask you to pay a £350.00 non-refundable “holding fee” prior to obtaining references – this takes the property off the market while references are being taken. This will be offset against your initial monies, should your tenancy proceed.
- Your will be required to complete an application form which will then be processed through a credit rating agency : this normally takes 3 days.
- On receipt of your references, we will then draw up the Tenancy Agreement, which is a legally binding document between the owner of the property (the Landlord) and you (the Tenant). You should read the Agreement carefully and ensure that you fully understand it.
The Costs Involved
- Before the commencement of the tenancy, you will be required to make the following payments, which must be made by direct transfer to our bank account or banker’s draft. Personal cheques will be accepted but must be paid 7 working days in advance of commencement of tenancy.
- £24.00 inc VAT Credit Reference Check Fee for each Tenant
- £180.00 inc VAT Tenancy Set Up Fee per applicant
- Share of Inventory Check fees (Cost varies dependent on property size and furnishings). The Tenant will pay the checkout fee (as a guide, typically for a 2 bedroom furnished apartment the cost will be in the region of £100) ; the Landlord pays the check in.
- The first month’s rent in advance.
- One and a half months’ rent as a deposit against damage to the property during your tenancy, paid in advance. (Tim Russ & Company are members of The Tenancy Deposit Scheme and hold the deposit under the regulations stipulated by the scheme. Further information on the operation of the scheme can be obtained from tenancydepositscheme.com)
- Should you require a Guarantor, there will be a further Credit Reference Fee and a further charge of £180.00 (inc VAT) for drawing up the Deed of Guarantee
- A fee of £96 inc VAT will be charged should you renew your tenancy
- All tenancies are subject to contract, satisfactory references and the Landlords final approval.
All tenancies are exclusive of council tax, water rates, gas and electricity and, if applicable, telephone. These services will be the responsibility of the tenant.
Dear Mark, Judi & Maria,
Thank you so much for all your efforts to sell our home and finally get it through to exchange of contracts. It must have been very frustrating but you all proved to be absolute stars.
Thank you again.
Linda & David Hilton. Pear Tree Cottage, Chalfont St Giles.
Just like show our appreciation for the team at Chalfont St Giles office.
Cannot praise their professionalism and efficiency enough. Nothing was too much trouble, they kept us informed throughout and any enquiries I had, if they could not answer straight away would be dealt with promptly. Mark, Judi and Maria were excellent cannot praise them enough. Many other estate agents take heed.
Margaret and Eddie Reid, Corner Cottage, Silver Hill, Chalfont St Giles.